Duncan & Paulette: Chicago

Still miffed at Ralph for missing her party, and feeling exhausted from juggling her job and wedding planning, Paulette looks forward to a three-day sales trip to Chicago. Duncan is added to the trip last minute to get him acquainted with Bainesbridge’s clients. Unaware of Paulette’s status, Duncan asks her out to dinner. Word about this leaks out to Ralph, who shows up unexpectedly to protect his turf.

To: Paulette Barrow

Sent: July 11, 2008, 8:14 a.m., EST

From: Ralph Simmons

Subject: WTF??

I think you’re out of control and plain trippin’ for not calling me these past four days. Is this the way a mature woman—who is supposed to be getting married—should act?

To: Emma Billingsley

Sent: July 11, 2008, 8:43 a.m., EST

From: Paulette Barrow

Subject: Almost Done

No, I’m not quite done freezing out Ralph yet. I found out that he wrapped up work early on the day he said he was staying late. And where did he go but schmoozing and playing cricket with his old managing director. He doesn’t even like that guy, and he says he’s a horrible batsman!

To: Paulette Barrow

Sent: July 11, 2008, 8:47 a.m., EST

From: Emma Billingsley

Subject: Re: Almost Done

Well, I give him points (you heard me, not demerits) for networking. I encourage you to do whatever seems right to you concerning Barf. As long as you start smiling again. For some reason, you do more scowling these days than anything else.

To: Nigel Barrow

Sent: July 14, 2008, 8:00 a.m., EST

From: Paulette Barrow

Subject: Chicago

We’re here in Chicago. Pls tell Dad we all got here safely. There were no terrorists on the plane, the financial markets are holding up (for now) and I still have a job.

To: Paulette Barrow

Sent: July 15, 2008, 9:00 a.m., EST

From: Wesley Burnham

Subject: Conference Calls

After this morning’s conference call with the press, I’ve told Emma to direct follow-up Qs to you on the dashboard specifics. But try to hold off on routine questions until after our meetings today.

To: Emma Billingsley

Sent: July 15, 2008, 10:00 a.m., EST

From: Ralph Simmons

Subject: PLEASE Tap Paulette on the Shoulder

She found out about the cricket match, and she’s steamed. Just give her a nudge to call me when she gets the chance.

To: Paulette Barrow

Sent: July 16, 2008, 8:00 a.m., EST

From: Duncan Hastings

Subject: Steak?

As a University of Chicago graduate, I can tell you this city has all the best steak houses. Let me take you out as a thank you for all your help.

To: Duncan Hastings

Sent: July 16, 2008, 8:11 a.m., EST

From: Paulette Barrow

Subject: Re: Steak?

Sounds great. I’ve had nothing but demos, Q&A sessions and press calls for two-plus days straight. I’m starved!

To: Ralph Simmons

Sent: July 16, 2008, 11:04 a.m., EST

From: Emma Billingsley

Subject: Re: PLEASE Tap Paulette on the Shoulder

OK, I’ll try, but you put yourself in the dog house this time. Ditching my girl to go play ball with people you can’t stand? What gives?

To: Emma Billingsley

Sent: July 16, 2008, 1:20 p.m., EST

From: Ralph Simmons

Subject: Re: PLEASE Tap Paulette on the Shoulder

Just so happens that one of the guys works on JP Morgan’s derivatives desk and knows about an opening. HIM I can stomach. It took you a day to answer. What’s up with Paulette?

To: Ralph Simmons

Sent: July 16, 2008, 1:40 p.m., EST

From: Emma Billingsley

Subject: Re: PLEASE Tap Paulette on the Shoulder

Was just a little swamped managing press inquiries on the new dashboard. I work for BAINESBRIDGE, not you. Paulette has a working dinner tonight with the new research guy. Nice man. He appreciates all the help she’s given him and treats her like she deserves his time, but not in a condescending ‘I’m a hot-shot trader’ sort of way, you know? I leave for New York soon, but if I see her before their dinner, I’ll let her know you’re a pathetic mess without her.

To: Ralph Simmons

Sent: July 16, 2008, 2 p.m., EST

From: Emma Billingsley

Subject: What’s this guy’s name?

To: Ralph Simmons

Sent: July 16, 2008 2:42 p.m., EST

From: Paulette Barrow

Subject: Got the flowers

They’re very nice. Can’t talk now. Heading out to dinner with colleague, Duncan. Will call after I get back to hotel.

To: Paulette Barrow

Sent: July 16, 2008, 8:14 p.m., EST

From: Duncan Hastings

Subject: Re: Mea Culpa!

It’s OK. Of course a girl like you is already taken. Good luck.

To: Paulette Barrow

Sent: July 17, 2008, 7:12 a.m., EST

From: Emma Billingsley

Subject: WHAT Happened?

Ralph was on the first flight out to Chicago last night.

To: Emma Billingsley

Sent: July 17, 2008, 7:45 a.m., EST

From: Paulette Barrow

Subject: Re: WHAT Happened?

Right after Ralph heard about Duncan he flew out here—with my engagement ring—and met me in my hotel lobby. Then we took a cab out to Lincoln Park and he put the ring on my finger. He got down on 1 knee right there in front of everybody. No more waiting for a big to-do at his mother’s church! Good thing I got a manicure before the trip. They’re closing the cabin door now. I’ll fill you in when we get back to New York.

To: Anne Latham

Sent: July 17, 2008, 11:00 a.m., EST

From: Duncan Hastings

Subject: Long Overdue Report

I’ve been hammered with work, Anne. How are my nephews?  So far, so good at Bainesbridge. Brilliant CEO, who also seems like a nice guy. Colleagues are great, especially in business development. Weird occurrence on the way home, though. That girl I mentioned who demystified the dashboard for me? Well, she’s engaged, as it turns out. And to a real Jerk.

So me, Paulette, Burnham and Jerk were all on the same flight. The guy walks through the terminal like he owns the place and insists on getting bumped up to first class. Ahead of Burnham! Look I’m not priggish or anything, but that’s kind of silly and of he keeps it up, he’ll potentially damage her.

To: Duncan Hastings

Sent: July 17, 2008, 1 p.m., EST

From: Anne Latham

Subject: Re: Long Overdue Report

Oh, I see. So this is all about what’s best for Paulette.

To: Anne Latham

Sent: July 17, 2008, 2:00 a.m., EST

From: Duncan Hastings

Subject: Re: Long Overdue Report

Not entirely. Not at all. I’ll see you all here in a couple months’ time?

Advertisements

One Response to “Duncan & Paulette: Chicago”

1. Very nice. I think Duncan likes Paulette.

What do think? Let's hear it!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s