Duncan & Paulette: Congratulations

I’ve gone back to sifting through those emails I mentioned in an earlier post. I can’t believe I’ve neglected them for this long. They are interesting! This time, Paulette’s fiance Ralph drops the ball after he inexplicably misses a surprise congratulatory party in her honor for her promotion at Bainesbridge. Paulette gets conscripted to help Duncan navigate Bainesbridge’s new software system, and realizes that her new assignment is actually rather pleasant.

From: Wesley Burnham

Sent: July 3, 2008, 8:34 a.m., EST

To: Paulette Barrow

CC: Duncan Hastings

Subject: Bainesbridge Dashboard

Paulette, I need you to do a huge, one-time favor for me on behalf of Duncan, the new guy in research. He needs to be brought up to speed on the Bainesbridge side of our dashboard. Can you give him a quick tutorial?

From: Paulette Barrow

Sent: July 3, 2008, 8:36 a.m., EST

To: Wesley Burnham

Subject: Bainesbridge Dashboard

Paulette – Normally, I would, but I have to prepare for the Chicago sales trip. Can’t one of the bright sparks in IT to help him?

From: Wesley Burnham

Sent: July 3, 2008, 8:39 a.m., EST

To: Paulette Barrow

Subject: Bainesbridge Dashboard

Before you were promoted, you were the best in IT. You know the new system inside and out. He’d be indebted to you. Can he count on your help?

From: Paulette Barrow

Sent: July 3, 2008, 9:00 a.m., EST

To: Wesley Burnham

Subject: Bainesbridge Dashboard

Paulette – For a short window, I guess. I have to prepare for that trip.

From: Duncan Hastings

Sent: July 3, 2008, 9:02 a.m., EST

To: Paulette Barrow

Subject: Bainesbridge Dashboard

Hi Paulette. Thanks again for agreeing to get me situated on the Bainesbridge dashboard. See you at 2 p.m.

From: Emma Billingsley

Sent: July 3, 2008, 3:20 p.m., EST

To: Paulette Barrow

Subject: Plans for Later

Hi Dear. I just want to make sure you understand that you’re coming over to my place later to look at swatches for dresses. I found a handful that you are going to love, love, love. Plus, you can fill me in on the new guy.

From: Paulette Barrow

Sent: July 3, 2008, 3:22 p.m., EST

To: Emma Billingsley

Subject: Plans for Later

I’ll be there. Your neighborhood is cool anyway, with a perfect view of the river and everything. I’m afraid there is not much to say about Duncan; he’s pretty straightforward. Why don’t you just introduce yourself, instead of skulking around all the time like that, like you’re trying to catch us doing something?

From: Emma Billingsley

Sent: July 3, 2008, 3:25 p.m., EST

To: Ralph Simmons

Subject: Paulette is Confirmed

Good evening, Ralph. Please remember that Paulette’s congratulatory party for her promotion is tonight, at my apartment. You don’t have to bring her, just be there. 7 p.m. Thanks.

From: Ralph Simmons

Sent: July 3, 2008, 3:25 p.m., EST

To: Emma Billingsley

Subject: Paulette is Confirmed

Yep. See you there.

From: Emma Billingsley

Sent: July 7, 2008, 2:15 p.m., EST

To: Ralph Simmons

Subject: Give Me a BREAK

Did you seriously miss Paulette’s party last Thursday for a late sales meeting? It was the day before the long holiday weekend, and everybody was either going home either early or leaving right on time. Plus I told you about it way in advance and reminded you. Paulette was checking her Blackberry, like, every 90 seconds waiting to hear from you. But you never even bothered to check in. Bad, bad form!

From: Ralph Simmons

Sent: July 7, 2008, 4:00 p.m., EST

To: Paulette Barrow

Subject: Please Pick Up!!!

Paulette, I’ve said I’m sorry over and over again. Everyone is on pins and needles with the markets the way they are, and I could not get out of work to make it to your little party. And I’ve bought you flowers and offered to take you to lunch. What more do you want me to do? And how am I supposed to explain things to you when you don’t even take my calls?

From: Duncan Hastings

Sent: July 7, 2008, 4:10 p.m., EST

To: Paulette Barrow

Subject: It Was My Pleasure

Please don’t worry about giving me money for the coffee. Even a diehard tea drinker like me needs a more efficient afternoon pick-me-up from time to time. Consider it a thank you for your advice on the system—super helpful. Can I count on shooting you a few questions here and there if needs be?

From: Paulette Barrow

Sent: July 7, 2008, 4:11 p.m., EST

To: Duncan Hastings

Subject: It Was My Pleasure

You can call anytime. We’ve tried to build a lot of common sense interfaces and apps into it, but it’s still a totally unique system, so questions will come up, naturally.

Advertisements

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

What do think? Let's hear it!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s